A COMPOSITE LEFT-HAND DAGGER, CIRCA 1660, PROBABLY FRENCH
with tapering double-edged blade of diamond-section, formed with a pair of pierced narrow fullers on each side of a pronounced medial ridge on each face (pitted), rectangular ricasso flattened for the thumb on the inside and grooved on the other side, iron hilt comprising quillons chiselled in the shape of cherubic figures, central cartouche containing a classical warrior on horseback, pommel decorated en suite with the guard, and later grip bound with spirally moulded plaited wire between 'Turk's Heads'
25.6 cm; 10 in blade
A very similar hilt of a small-sword, formerly part of the von Kienbusch Collection, is preserved in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. See Norman 1992, p.69.
William Randolph Hearst
Paris Watson & Co., Inc., New York, sold to the City Art Museum of St Louis in 1939
Sold Sotheby's New York, 24th May 1993, lot 421
£1500 - 2000 Click here for details of BP and other fees payable on this lot.